Are you thinking about getting a new or new-to-you vehicle? Let FNB Community Bank help you. We know there’s a lot that goes into buying or leasing a vehicle. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of helpful auto tips!
- Check the Facts – Make sure you know everything about a vehicle before you purchase it, especially if it’s used. Vehicles are expensive, and you don’t want any unexpected surprises.
- Buying vs. Leasing – When you buy a vehicle, you take out a loan on it. It’s a larger sum of money up front, but after you pay off the loan, the vehicle is yours. When you lease a vehicle, you don’t own it, but it’s usually less expensive than buying a car, truck, or SUV. You also have a set number of miles you are allowed to put on the vehicle during the lease.
- Determine the Down Payment – The more money you put down, the less you will need to borrow. Therefore, lowering your monthly payments. However, pick an amount that is right for you and that you are comfortable with paying.
- Take Your Time with the Test Drive – After you have narrowed down your choices, call the dealership to make an appointment for a test drive. Don't be afraid to ask for more time behind the wheel and any other questions that come up during your test drive.
- Determine Your Budget – While you may have your heart set on a specific car, you won’t be able to take it home unless you can afford it. A good rule of thumb is to spend no more than 25 percent of your monthly household income for all the cars in your household.
- Use Smart Negotiating Strategies – When the discussion of price comes up, don't be afraid to deny the first price given. Dealerships will try to keep you around to tire you out, but stay strong. When it comes to extra add-ons, it's okay to say no and do more research at home for the ones that interest you. Be sure to go over all the details to make sure you are not paying any unnecessary fees and that everything you negotiated is in writing.
We hope you will think of us when it comes time to get a new or new-to-you vehicle. Click here to apply for a loan online today!