The History of FNB
The Croak family purchased the American State Bank, originally chartered in 1943, in April of 1954. The American State Bank underwent a name change in June of 1962 when the name First National Bank of Midwest City was adopted. First Midwest Bancorp, Inc. organized as a holding company in 1981 and was the sole owner of all bank stock. The name changed again in 1998 when the "of Midwest City" was dropped to reflect our expanding presence in Eastern Oklahoma County. First Midwest Acquisition Corp. was formed in April of 2002 and is the current bank holding company. On December 31, 2012 the bank will continue its growth with a conversion back to a State Chartered institution proudly named FNB Community Bank. FNB Community Bank prides itself as being known as a traditional community bank where our business philosophy "Oklahomans doing business with Oklahomans" is proved out every day.
The Croak family has been, and remains, very active in the daily management of the bank. Henry Croak served as Board Chairman and CEO and passed away in April of 1995. The bank's current Board Chairman, Robert H Croak, his sons, Bank President, William H. "Bill" Croak and Executive Vice President John R. Croak remain active in daily management of FNB.
Since its inception, the bank's primary mission has been to serve the banking needs of Midwest City as well as Eastern Oklahoma County and Tinker Air Force Base. This continues to be the primary driving force behind the bank today. Being the oldest and most firmly established bank in the area, the bank has built a reputation of conservative soundness that has served the bank well. Through the years our bank has enjoyed a higher quality leadership and staff than its competitors and has helped the bank maintain a major share of the local banking market.
The present building is the second in the history of the bank. We began operations in May 1943 in a small brick building on Mid-America Boulevard and operated out of that building until 1973. In 1973, the present building was completed and occupied. The building was designed to fully meet the needs of the bank and the community for many years ahead. It appears that the building will serve the bank's needs well into the 21st century.
Our Core Values
We are committed to teamwork because we believe that mutual trust, respect, and personal responsibility are the basis for a fulfilling work place.
We will achieve and maintain healthy, two-way communication through listening while striving to provide opportunities for growth, and recognizing each individuals’ strengths.
We value innovation, accept the associated risks, and reward creative solutions.
We believe integrity and quality go hand in hand and should always come without compromise. Who we are when no one is watching is our truest reflection, which creates quality.
We strive to create a positive work place through fostering close-knit relationships, scheduling bank-wide events, and supporting our community, which make work not seem like “work.”
Our Branches and ATMs
FNB Community Bank is an independently owned community bank with several full service branches including the newest facility in Moore, OK just east of I-35 at Broadway. Other branches include: Tinker Air Force Base in the BX Mall that opened in October of 2002 and a small express branch inside Building 3001. The Del City branch was acquired in June 1990, through the failure of Exchange National Bank and transfer by FDIC of some thirty million deposit dollars and approximately ten million dollars in loans. During the summer of 1995, the bank leased property at 4330 SE 29th Street in the Ponderosa Shopping Center where a new Del City branch opened. This site is 2,500 square feet and houses a staff of eight including tellers and personal bankers. Also, a five-lane motor bank with a drive-up ATM is available. The bank opened its Midwest City East branch in June 1997 on Douglas Boulevard as a full service facility. The bank also owns an additional site for expansion on east Reno. The Choctaw branch was opened in 1999 and moved to their present location on NE 23rd in 2000. FNB opened a branch located inside the Country Boy Grocery store on SE 29th in Harrah in September of 1998.
The bank operates numerous ATMs scattered about the Eastern Oklahoma Country area including seven ATMs located in various areas of Tinker Air Force Base.
The Evolution of FNB
The strategic planning process and strategic management have led us to a number of changes in the way we manage our bank. During the early part of 1994, the number of employees was 136 with a full time equivalent of 120. Strategic planning objectives were to become better trained and more efficient during in the following years. Late in 1994, the strategic planning process recognized a further requirement for streamlining the bank's overall organization. To accomplish that objective, a consultant group was retained in October 1994 to completely investigate, document, and propose reorganization. As a result, the bank was organized into sales and service division headed by then senior vice president William H. Croak, operations and administration under the direction of senior vice president David R. Bryan, and central credit division guided by then senior vice president John R. Croak, which would provide the three elements of banking services to all of our customers, employees, and other stakeholders. Later, the human resources division was added and directed by senior vice president Timothy T. Ballard. This plan was finalized and implementation began in April 1995.
The history of our bank has been gradual and consistent growth with a concentration of local ownership. It is the intent of all major shareholders and bank directors to see that our history is both respected and extended well into the 21st century.